Pages

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Preparing to Make Senior Overalls

Yello everyone! I hope your summer is going well!

Alright so this will be my first post on the ever ominous overalls, and i will start out with my #1 rule: MAKE SURE YOU PLAN EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU START BUYING ANYTHING. Senior Overalls can be expensive, and by doing it yourself you can save money, but only if you plan ahead and make multipul trips to the fabric store without buying anything.
Before i went to joann's, i thought that i wanted my color scheme to be green and yellow (yyyeaahhh i know), but after bring my overalls with me to look at how those colors would work together and with the overalls themselves, i decided against it. The second time i went to the store i brought a friend to get their opinion on my new color scheme of teal and yellow (again, not so pretty), and the third time i of course brought my wonderful mother to make the final selections, i ended up choosing light greens and teals. I am really glad i didn't take my first trip with my mom, or else i would be tempted to buy things i didn't need or colors i would later regret.
Anyways.... First you need to get your overalls, most people i know go with dickies, but i'm sure there are other companies out there that sell overalls. The dickies can be ordered by size and by length.

Sizing--
The men's pairs range from 30-60, but most girls stay in the 30's. I am 5'11 and thin so i got a 32 34. If you are suuupppeer short go with a 30 on the lenth! If you need to, find a dickies store and try them on there, because i am not so sure i will be able to answer sizing questions.

Fabrics and Such--

1. Spring Loaded Scissors- They are pricy (about $20) but believe me, you will be doing so much cutting you will be thankful to have good fabric scissors that only make you do half the work of regular scissors. If you don't buy these, you still need to buy some form of fabric scissors, kitchen scissors won't cut it for this project.

2. Fabrics- I am doing mix and matching, so i got 6 colors. Make sure they are QUILTING fabrics, they will be cotton and not 'flowy'. Something like this. The Keepsake Calico collection at joanns is often on sale, and it seems to have the cutest choices!

3. E6000 Glue- A fellow drill team member recomended this, and the girl at the store said it was her go-to glue for crafting. You will be using this for trims.

4. Trims- They go around all of your letters and around pockets, you can find them priced by the yard or by the spool. I bought 24 yards of sequins by the spool (99 cents a yard), and 10 yards by the spools. Either way, you need LOTS of trim.

5. Heat N Bond- This is how you will be applying you letters to your overalls. They have many choices but i opted for the 5 yards of no sew. It was about $9 and it will make it super easy for people who don't know/like sewing. I will have a separate post on how to use this.

6. Sequin Trim- Just a picture of the trims that i bought by the yard.

A close up look of the scissors:

The final recipt was pricy i know:




I don't know it you can see the price but with tax it was about $150, but if i had gotten someone to make it for me it would have been $300. So you get to save 50% but doing it yourself, and with help from me, hopefully it will be super easy!

Thanks Everyone!

If you have any questions feel free to leave a comment down below...

1 comment:

  1. Do you have a picture of your finished overalls you would be willing to share? :)

    ReplyDelete

yello. would you like to comment?